Bypass nearly halfway complete


Open house set for Wednesday, August 3

By Wayne Allen - [email protected]



Culvert installation along the mainline.


Over the last year, crews have been working on constructing the Southern Ohio Veterans Memorial Highway in Scioto County. According to officials with the project, crews have the $429 million project nearly halfway complete.

In its first Public, Private, Partnership (P3), the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) hired Portsmouth Gateway Group (PGG) to construct the Southern Ohio Veterans Memorial Highway. In 2015 ground was broken on the project, bringing decades of planning to reality.

Since the ground breaking, crews and contractors have been working on the project, with a targeted completion date of December 2018.

ODOT and PGG have set an open house for Wednesday, Aug., 3 from 4-6 p.m. at the project field office, located at 4301A Lucasville-Minford Road.

According Kathleen Fuller, ODOT District 9 Spokeswoman, the open house will allow the public to see pictures of the project progress and talk with officials about the project.

Fuller said the project is roughly 45 percent complete and is ahead of schedule.

“It’s good to be ahead of schedule on some phases of the project,” Fuller said.

She said being ahead of schedule is not a bad thing, “We had a mild winter overall and crews worked through the winter months,” Fuller said.

She said the dry mild winter has worked in the contractors favor to get work done.

Fuller said crews are working two shifts and have been very aggressive to progress the schedule along. She said there are roughly 400 people employed on the project.

Once constructed, the roadway will have 72 lane-miles. There will be five major interchanges with two partial interchanges. The roadway is anticipated to have an average daily traffic of up to 14,500 vehicles.

There will be an estimated 25 million cubic yards of excavation to make way for the roadway. The tallest bridge on the highway will be over 124 feet, with culverts along the roadway as long as 900 feet and as deep as 190 feet.

As a part of the project, all culverts on township and county roads affected by the project will be replaced over the course of the project. There will be 85 culverts equal to nearly five miles long.

In making room for the highway, some blasting work will need to be done. There will be 400 semi-truck loads of explosives used, 260 miles of holes drilled for blasting.

There will be 4.5 million pounds of rebar used, 402,200 tons of asphalt and 24,520 cubic yards of concrete used.

The project is a 16-mile, limited access, four-lane highway that will bypass about 26 miles of U.S. 52 and U.S. 23 in Portsmouth. Once completed, ODOT estimates it will reduce travel time by 16 minutes compared to the alternative routes in the area.

After completion, the Portsmouth Gateway Group will operate and maintain the roadway for 35 years.

For more information about the Portsmouth Gateway Group visit, www.pgg823.com.

In total the project will cost $1.2 billion, with $429 million in construction costs.

ODOT in conjunction with PGG have taken the project to social media, Facebook and Instagram accounts have been setup. Though those accounts pictures and information are shared.

Culvert installation along the mainline.
http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/web1_13567002_1798145853749565_1349803794321308603_n.jpgCulvert installation along the mainline.
Open house set for Wednesday, August 3

By Wayne Allen

[email protected]

Wayne Allen can be reached at 740-353-3101 ext. 1933 or @WayneAllenPDT on Twitter

Wayne Allen can be reached at 740-353-3101 ext. 1933 or @WayneAllenPDT on Twitter

comments powered by Disqus