New Boston PD Robbery Suspect
Local businesses helped
Dispute turns deadly
3 dead, deputy wounded after shooting, fire in Kentucky
Davis elected chairman
- Six arrested in drug operation - 4:43 pm
- Sowkulech named medicaid services manager at SCBDD - 2:32 pm
- SCBDD keeps Barnett president, Thoroughman vice president - 2:27 pm
- Carl Hayden arraigned on murder charges - 12:58 pm
- Red Cross celebrates 100th - 12:08 pm
- Heartbreak: bittersweet moment - 11:16 am
- A lotta gall - 10:26 am
- Perry commits to visit Piketon - 4:34 pm
- Land bank begins to acquire property - 3:02 pm
- Bo Vallandingham joins elite squad - 2:58 pm
- Wilma Erwin nominated for LifeChanger of the Year award - 1:51 pm updated: 10:01 am.
- Lucas Purdy nominated to West Point and Merchant Marine academies - 3:58 pm
- Dunne donates little free library - 2:22 pm
- Crisis resources available - 11:33 am
- Weekend pageant hands out titles and scholarships - 6:26 pm
- Rio Joins State Initiative to End Hunger - 3:05 pm
- Fight at 7th and 8th grade game being investigated - 1:22 pm
- DOE updates citizens - 9:54 am
- MLK events a success - 2:57 pm
- Toastmasters Club formed locally - 2:54 pm
- Area real estate sales on the rise - 2:50 pm
- Johnson named vet’s chair - 12:45 pm
- NBPD searches for armed robber - 12:05 pm
- New Boston PD Robbery Suspect - 4:40 pm
- Progress continues on garden - 2:06 pm
Bo Vallandingham joins elite squad
Bo Vallandingham has found his niche. After he graduated from Minford High School in 2012, he worked jobs here and there and then…”I decid...
Wilma Erwin nominated for LifeChanger of the Year award
Former Washington-Nile Local School District special education director Wilma Erwin has been nominated for the 2016-17 national LifeChanger of the Yea...
Lucas Purdy nominated to West Point and Merchant Marine academies
Portsmouth High School senior Lucas “Luke” Purdy has been nominated to two U.S. service academies. Purdy, who was a standout in sports and...
Dunne donates little free library
There’s nothing like a good meal with a good book, and thanks to a donation by Shawnee State University sociology professor Sean Dunne, you can ...
Crisis resources available
There are times in everyone’s life when we may find ourselves in a crisis with no one to call or no one that will listen. To aid those experienc...
Weekend pageant hands out titles and scholarships
The annual Miss Shawnee and Miss Portsmouth Scholarship Program was held over the weekend. Over the course of the pageant, women from across the state...
SSU falls to Phoenix 79-67
Portsmouth – Shawnee State men’s basketball held a halftime lead but couldn’t hold off Cumberland (Tenn.), falling 79-67 on Thursday...
Hornets put the sting to Redmen
The Rock Hill Lady Redmen lost to the Coal Grove Hornets on the road Wednesday night. Both teams fought an aggressive battle on the court, but Coal Gr...
Women’s Basketball host #14 Cumberland on Thursday Night
Shawnee State women’s basketball began a crucial week on Thursday evening when they welcomed #14 Cumberland (Tenn.) to Portsmouth for a huge Mid...
Men’s Basketball face Cumberland on Thursday night
Shawnee State men’s basketball return to Portsmouth on Thursday, starting a five game home stand against Cumberland (Tenn.) in Mid-South Confere...
Youth Basketball Championships asks for entries by Feb. 19
The 14th Annual Ohio Youth Basketball School Team State Championship for Boys and Girls in the 3rd through 6th grade is being held Feb. 25-26 in Colum...
HS athletes honor local sports legend
The Valley Lady Indians visited Portsmouth West last Thursday, for their second conference meeting of the 2016-17 season. The first meeting ended as M...
Portsmouth Public Library Programs
The week of January 23 – Jan. 28, 2017.Story Times:Monday, January 23 – Toddler Time (ages 2 – 3) at 11am at LucasvilleTuesday, Janu...
‘Resurrection of Gavin Stone’ is a new take on Christian-themed movies
Here are three descriptors for a movie that you thought you’d never see placed together: “faith-based,” “comedy” and ...
Film about 1960s black mathematicians tops MLK weekend
NEW YORK — “Hidden Figures,” the uplifting film about African-American mathematicians at NASA during the 1960s space race, led the N...
EP7 Memorial Futsal Tournament
On Jan. 22, 2017, the EP7 Youth Outreach, a non-profit 501 (c)(3) social service/youth organization will hold its first fundraiser.The EP7 Memorial Fu...
Wheelersburg Basketball Homecoming
Wheelersburg High School Basketball Homecoming will take place Saturday, January 21 when the Pirates host South Point. The Homecoming ceremony will ta...
Women’s March hardly inclusive if it excludes pro-life women
Call it the “People With Uteruses Who Hate Donald Trump March.” Or the “Birth Control, Not Self Control March.” Or the “...
Hope the pigs are not in the mud
“Hold on here, I’ve got it somewhere,” I said to a friend as I shuffled through a stack of newspapers on my cluttered desk looking f...
The best template for Trump’s inauguration speech? Nixon’s?
Even before his inauguration, Donald Trump has notched up at least one dubious achievement: He’ll be the first modern president to enter the Whi...
What we can learn from Washington’s Farewell Address
With the inauguration of a new president, it seems timely to study the words of the first one, who set the mechanism of our presidential process into ...
Obama’s legacy is one of not taking risks, not thinking big
Nobody thinks Margaret Thatcher’s claim on posterity is that she was Britain’s first female prime minister. Admirers and critics alike kno...
Disregard all those farewells: Obama isn’t really leaving
Donald Trump will give his closely watched inaugural address this week. It will be a great one. Trust him. Fantastic, even. Possibly beyond belief. Be...