Quantcast


Last updated: July 24. 2013 2:16PM - 187 Views
Chris Dunham, PDT Sports Writer



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Frank Lewis


PDT Staff Writer


As temperatures start to dip across southern Ohio, the American Red Cross is urging families to be cautious when using space heaters and other heating sources and to make a plan in case of a home fire.


Heating sources are the leading cause of winter fires, and increase during the winter months of December, January and February.


Heat sources such as space heaters, fireplaces or wood and coal stoves can pose a fire hazard. To reduce the risk of heating related fires, the Red Cross recommends keeping anything that can burn such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least three feet away from heating equipment and fireplaces and to never leave them unattended.


“Last year Ohio River Valley responded to 92 home fires in Pike and Scioto counties,” Mary Arnzen of the Ohio River Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross, said. “But the good news is that there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of a home fire.”


The American Red Cross offers the following fire prevention tips:


• All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.


• Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.


• Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.


• Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.


• Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys inspected annually by a professional and cleaned if necessary.


• If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.


“The Red Cross depends on the generous support of local residents to be ready to respond and help our neighbors who are affected by home fires,” Arnzen said. “You can help your neighbors recover from disasters like home fires by making a tax-deductible donation today.”


To make a financial donation Arnzen said people can visit redcross.org, call 740-354-3293, or mail a check to 1801 Robinson Ave, Portsmouth, OH 45662.


For more Red Cross fire safety and preparedness information, visit redcross.org/homefires.


Frank Lewis may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 252, or at flewis@heartlandpublications.com.


Comments
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Portsmouth Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com