RYAN SCOTT OTTNEY
PDT Staff Writer
The U.S. Department of Labor on Friday announced a $12,193,752 National Emergency Grant supplement that will fund nearly 1,400 temporary jobs for eligible dislocated workers to assist with ongoing cleanup and recovery efforts following the severe storms and floods that struck southeastern Ohio between April 4 and May 15, 2011.
The funds, awarded to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, will serve 15 counties: Athens, Belmont, Gallia, Guernsey, Hocking, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Ross, Scioto, Vinton and Washington.
“Last spring’s severe storms left many Ohio families and small businesses hurting,” said U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown. “This funding will help small businesses, families, and communities throughout southeast Ohio while putting Ohioans to work.”
The counties being served under this grant are among those that the Federal Emergency Management Agency declared eligible for its Public Assistance Program on July 13, 2011.
“Ohio has made substantial progress in the recovery efforts from last year’s severe storms and floods,” said Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis. “While primary roadways and damaged public facilities have been largely restored, this funding will assist with the ongoing cleanup of waterway blockages that pose flooding risks to public infrastructure, while also providing temporary work to those in need of employment.”
On Aug. 8, 2011, the Labor Department awarded a National Emergency Grant of $16,233,360 to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, with $3.5 million released initially. Increments of $5 million and $7,733,360 were awarded in January and April of 2012, respectively, representing the remainder of the original award.
This week’s supplemental funding brings the total amount awarded to date to $28,427,112.
Ryan Scott Ottney can be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 235, or email@example.com.