Red Cross reschedules Jingle Bell Jog
Also gives some holiday safety tips
By Wayne Allen
PDT Staff Writer
The Ohio River Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross had to reschedule its annual Jingle Bell Jog 5k Run/Walk from last Saturday event due to weather. The event has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 18.
The Red Cross is also reminding residents about holiday fire hazards. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, and Thanksgiving are the top three days for cooking fires.
“Nationally, the Red Cross responds to a disaster on average every eight minutes, and the vast majority of them are home fires,” said Debbie Smith community chapter executive, Ohio River Valley Red Cross. “Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, and as people are cooking, entertaining, and stringing lights this holiday season, we’re urging that they take safety measures to ensure that their homes and loved ones are safe from the threat of fire.”
When it comes to avoiding fires when holiday decorating the Red Cross is advising, “choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant. Keep children, pets and decorations away from lit candles. Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of LED strands to connect. Some strings of lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged and keep decorations away from windows and doors.”
When trying to avoid fires while holiday entertaining, the Red Cross advises, “test your smoke alarms. Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove, oven or any appliance in the kitchen that generates heat. Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup. Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen.”
Smith is also advising that those interested can download the free American Red Cross First Aid app, which provides access to information on handling the most common first aid emergencies. The app is available from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross.
The 3rd Annual Jingle Bell Jog 5k Run/Walk was originally scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 7, but had to be rescheduled due to bad weather. The event will now take place on Wednesday, Dec. 18, at the Scioto County Welcome Center. Registration starts at 4:30 p.m. with race starting at 5:30 p.m. Registration is $25 per participant. If you were previously registered for the race, you will not need to register again.
For more information or to register online visit www.tristateracer.com by 9 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17, or visit the Red Cross office at 1801 Robinson Ave., in Portsmouth. For additional information, contact Corvella Evans at 740-354-3293.
Wayne Allen may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 228, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For breaking news, follow Wayne on Twitter @WayneallenPDT.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices