PIKETON – Five local high school seniors recently received college scholarships from the Gary W. Snyder Memorial Scholarship Fund, sponsored by Wastren Advantage Inc. (WAI).
The scholarships were presented at the school’s end-of-the-year awards ceremonies.
Snyder was a scientist on the WAI team who passed away in 2012. His career in environmental sciences included time as a professor at Shawnee State University (SSU). His love of nature and the environment impacted his coworkers and inspired the idea for WAI’s scholarship. The scholarship set up in Snyder’s honor is awarded to five high school seniors each year. They must attend school in Pike, Scioto, Jackson or Ross counties and plan to pursue higher education at SSU. The $250 scholarship can be renewed each year of study through the senior year of college.
The 2016 recipients are:
- Lena Harvey, a graduate of Portsmouth High School, who plans to study radiologic technology
- Mackenzie Rowe, a graduate of Valley High School who plans to major in pre-medicine
- Kiana Schackhart, a graduate of Valley High School who will be studying radiologic technology
- Anna Staker, a graduate of Eastern High School who plans to get a degree in medical laboratory technology
- Jessica Stockham, a graduate of Eastern High School who plans to major in biomedical sciences, and then attend medical school.
A key component in funding the scholarship program is the Gary Snyder Memorial Golf Tournament, held each year at Big Beaver Creek Golf Course in Piketon. This year’s tournament takes place Saturday, Sept. 10. The tournament, which includes food and prizes for participants, is sponsored by local businesses, and all proceeds benefit the scholarship program.
WAI is a facilities operations and remediation services company headquartered in Piketon, with project offices across the United States. WAI has more than two decades of proven experience supporting complex environmental cleanup projects by providing a disciplined project management approach focused on safe, compliant, and cost-effective project delivery.