Red Devils run past Redstreaks

Chris Dunham, PDT Sports Writer

November 9, 2012

Jake Dorow

PDT Contributor

LOGAN — The St. Clairsville Red Devils needed little time on the turf at Logan High School to put up big number in an offensive clinic in the Division IV, Region 15 semifinal matchup against the Piketon Redstreaks.

The Red Devils (12-0) scored on their first nine possessions of the game and saw Jaylon Brown run for 186 yards on 11 carries and six touchdowns, defeating the Redstreaks (9-3), 59-27.

“We fought hard and there just fast and the are a good ball club,” Piketon coach Tyler Gullion said.

The victory puts the Red Devils in the “Elite Eight” regional final against Johnston-Monroe next Friday, who defeated Ironton right down the road at The Plains in Athens, 42-7. The site will still yet to be determined and will be announced by the OHSAA on Sunday.

St. Clairsville, who scored on all six of their possessions in the first half, and twice on only one play, wasted no time to take the lead.

The Red Devils took only four plays for 80 yards before Brown rushed the ball in the end zone from four yards out, giving St. Clairsville an early 7-0.

On the ensuing drive, Piketon responded with a score of their own. The Redstreaks stretched the ball around for 84 yards in nine plays before seeing Jeremy Farmer cross the goal line for a 5-yard scoring run, tying the game at 7-7 with 4:49 remaining in the first quarter.

“We mixed it up offensively by running the ball and throwing the ball and thought we could move the ball and we did,” Gullion said.

However, it was Brown who stole the show. On the next possession for St. Clairsville, Brown took a hand off on the first play from scrimmage and broke loose for a 39-yard touchdown run. The score gave the Red Devils a 14-7 lead with 4:18 left in the first quarter.

With no signs of slowing down, Piketon kept pace as Farmer matched Brown. The Redstreaks took 15-plays and 71 yards before witnessing Farmer running into the end zone from the 1-yard line with 9:35 remaining in the half.

The score tied the game at 14-14 and Farmer matched Brown with his second score of the evening. Farmer finished the half with four carries for 17 yards and two touchdowns and also adding four receptions for 80 yards.

“We have some nice kids on our team and we are going to miss some of our kids,” Gullion said.

The Red Devils, however, could not be stopped on the offensive end. After receiving the kickoff the Red Devils scored yet again.

Quarterback, Matt Kinnick dropped back on the first play from scrimmage and found a wide open Jerrid Marhefka for a 54-yard connection. The passing touchdown quickly gave the Red Devils a 21-14 lead with 9:24 left in the quarter.

The damage wasn’t finished as Brown continued to break tackles and find holes in the line. Brown, who finished with 121 yards on eight carries and four touchdowns in the half, scored twice in the next two possessions for St. Clairsville, expanding their lead to 35-20.

The Red Devils went into halftime leading 38-20 after Zach Musilli kicked a 22-yard field-goal as time expired.

St. Clairsville and Brown left off right where they started in the second half. With 1:06 into the third quarter the stadium witnessed what became a routine. On a first-and-goal from the 6-yard line Brown broke the pylon once more for his fifth score of the game.

The touchdown gave the Red Devils a 45-20 lead with 10:51 left in the third quarter.

After a defensive stand by St. Clairsville, the potent offense was right back on the turf. This time it was Kinnick dropping back and finding Boston College commit Dan Monteroso for a 39-yard passing touchdown.

The score marked the third time for the Red Devils in a three minute and 38-second time span, seven which was for a touchdown and a field goal.

After the Redstreaks offense become stagnant in the second half, Brown scored once more. After a defensive stop, the Red Devils marched back onto the field midway into the third quarter.

Brown, who finished the game with 186 yards on 11 carries and six touchdowns, had one last play in him. On a second-and-nine, Brown showed a variety of moves and broke free along the sidelines for a 53-yard run, giving St. Clairsville a 59-20 lead with 7:12 left in the third quarter.

It wasn’t until 3:05 left in the third quarter that the Red Devils punted for the first time in the game handing the ball back to Piketon.

“Hopefully this becomes the norm and not the exception on coming this far,” Gullion said.

Both teams exchanged possessions throughout the fourth quarter after Piketon scored with 10:51 left in the game on a Cameron Waddle 2-yard rushing score, which cut the lead to 59-27.

However, it was not enough as St. Clairsville advanced and will play next week.

Scoring Summary

St. Clairsville 14 24 21 0 59

Piketon 7 13 7 0 27


6:58 SC- Brown 4 run (Musilli kick) 7-0

4:39 P- Farmer 5 run (Jones kick) 7-7

4:18 SC- Brown 39 run (Musilli kick) 14-7


9:35 P- Farmer 1 run (Jones kick) 14-14

9:24 SC- Marhefka 54 pass from Kinnick (Musilli kick) 21-14

7:23 SC- Brown 17 run (Musilli kick) 28-14

3:59 P- Royster 20 run (Kick fail) 28-20

1:25 SC- Brown 8 run (Musilli kick) 35-20

:00 SC- Musilli 22-yard field goal 38-20


10:51 SC- Brown 6 run (Musilli kick) 45-20

9:51 SC- Monteroso 39 pass from Kinnick (Musilli kick) 52-20

7:12 SC- Brown 53 run (Skukan kick) 59-20


10:31 P- Waddle 2 run (Jones kick) 59-27

St. Clairsville Piketon

First Downs 8 20

Total Net Yards 499 404

Rushes-yards 24-291 35-246

Passing 208 158

Comp-Att-Int 6-11-1 15-31-1

Punts-yards 1-35 2-29

Fumbles-lost 1-0 2-1

Penelties-yards 5-64 34


PASSING: St. Clarisville_ Kinnick, 6-11-1-208, 1TD, Piketon_ Brabson, 15-31-158

RUSHING: St. Clarisville_Brown, 11-186-6, Ferns, 3-21, Monteroso, 2—2, Kinnick, 6-64, Gummer, 2—2, Stewart, 2-22; Piketon_Royster, 18-117, Brabson, 10-94, Farmer, 5-16-2, Waddle, 2-19

RECEIVING: St. Clarisville_Monteroso, 1-39, Marhefka, 4-124-1, Coleman, 2-67; Piketon_ Bowman, 7-37, Farmer, 5-79, Ferguson, 2-14, Royster, 2-14, Thacker, 1-14.